Chocolate-Coated Candied Orange Peel Recipe
✔ vegan (use agave instead of honey) . ✔ nut free
It's surprisingly hard to buy candied orange peel, and when I do find it, it tends to be very expensive, given how quickly I can devour it. Fortunately, it can be made at home for a fraction of the price. And it's fruit, so you can pretend to yourself that it's healthy.
makes 200g (72 pieces)
the peel of three small oranges
2 tbsp honey
1. Cut an orange into eight segments and use a knife to peel out the flesh.
2. Chop the remaining peel into slices, lengthwise.
3. Drop the slices into a pan of water and boil for ten minutes with the lid on.
4. Drain the water.
5. Preheat your oven to 110°C.
6. Refill the pan with just enough boiling water to cover the orange. This time add honey to the water.
7. Boil without a lid until the liquid has reduced to a syrup.
8. Spread the strips on a baking sheet and place in the oven for one hour.
9. Meanwhile, prepare a batch of plain chocolate. It's ready to use once a teaspoon comes out with a thick but smooth coasting.
10. Allow to cool.
11. Line a plate, tray or mat with greaseproof paper.
12. Grab each piece of peel by one end, and dip it in the chocolate. Place carefully on the greaseproof paper.
13. Transfer to the fridge for one hour.
14. Store in the fridge and eat within five days.+
1 image from readers
Tried this recipe? Upload a photo